Artifact of the month for May
Law on the abolition of the ban on Jews to enter the realm (24th of September 1851)
Paragraph 2 of the Constitution of 1814 (Constitution of religion clause) implied a tightening of restrictions against Jews access to the country compared with the period before 1814. Christian V’s Norwegian Law opened to provide Jews with rented letter access to the kingdom, and Portuguese Jews (Sephardim) had in 1750 received confirmation of their privileged right to do business in the King’s realms. With the Act of 24 September 1851 the ban on Jews access revoked, not least thanks to Henrik Wergeland’s untiring efforts in the 1830’s.
The legal text is an original and has previously been exhibited at the Oslo Museum in 2005.